by Seniors News
A MOTHER'S long running recipe for sweet and sour chicken is lovingly brought to your table by her daughter Ann Stainlay.
SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 440g can pineapple pieces in natural juice, drained, reserving juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g chicken tenderloins, tendons removed
- 1/2 green capsicum, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 3cm pieces ginger, peeled, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Combine cornflour and soy sauce. Stir until smooth. Add reserved pineapple juice, vinegar and sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Heat oil in wok / frying pan over medium to high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes each side (or until golden)
- Add capsicum, ginger and garlic to a pan. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes or til tender. Add soy sauce mixture to pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add pineapple. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or til sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. Serve with rice.