20 reasons to visit VIVID Sydney
VIVID Sydney is the largest festival of light, music and ideas in the Southern Hemisphere. It lights up Sydney and surrounds at 6pm each night for 23 days from May 24 until June 15, 2019.
Here are 20 reasons to come to Sydney to enjoy the Vivid festival:
1. Under the Argyle Cut in The Rocks get transported back to your childhood. Enjoy looking at 30 years of animation through the eyes of PIXAR Animation Studios including some of their most loved characters such as Woody and Buzz Lightyear.
2. Take a Sydney Harbour cruise.
3. Experience the magic of Taronga Zoo at night; with new lantern, Sumatran Tiger Cubs, marking the birth of three new tiger cubs and highlighting the zoo's commitment to conservation.
4. Challenge yourself to see something different each day and night - no tour guide needed!
5. Play the giant Cascading Harp made of hollow metallic spheres at Chatswood.
6. Explore Sydney's colonial history from a new perspective by discovering the installations throughout the harbour side quarter where European settlement began in The Rocks such as Watch Your Chips! and Nostalgia Above.
7. Stroll over Sydney Harbour Bridge to experience City Sparkle, an unforgettable view of Sydney Harbour lit up by thousands of LEDs and projections.
8. Fly through the night sky on Volaré, Luna Park's newest ride, described as a "magical wave swinger”.
9. See the lighting of the Sydney Opera House sails at 6pm every evening. This year, LA based Andrew Thomas Huang will transform the Sails with Austral Floral Ballet. Uniquely Sydney, uniquely Vivid.
10. From the lights outside to the glitter of the stage, catch a show at one of Sydney's iconic theatres while you're here.
11. Warm up with a little exercise - take on the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb at dusk and catch Lights On from a prime vantage point from 6pm each evening.
12. Embrace your inner child at KA3233 at the Royal Botanic Gardens. The interactive installation is overgrown with alien plant matter and reacts to sounds and space.
13. Enjoy the Art Gallery of NSW after hours with a series of free ideas and music events on Wednesday nights.
14.See the largest puppet constructed in Australia at Barangaroo. The glowing giant Marri Dyin, meaning 'Great Woman' in Sydney Aboriginal language will hunt and gather along Wulungul Walk each evening from Thursday to Sunday.
15. Walk through Firefly Field in the Royal Botanic Garden to experience the beautiful, unpredictable natural movement of the rare creatures.
16. Learn what goes on Under The Harbour during Vivid Sydney at Customs House. A surreal underwater encounter sure to delight children and adults alike.
17. Experience a church concert like no other at St Stephen's Uniting Church. Light Qualities will present four concerts by emerging Sydney-based composer-performer collective Konxertproject throughout Vivid Sydney.
18.Shrink down and be immersed in a super-sized Trumpet Flowers at Chatswood.
19. Be seduced by the imposing art-deco façade of the Museum of Contemporary Art as it is transformed by award-winning Australian-Colombian artist Claudia Nicholson underscored by the cool and contemporary sounds of Lonelyspeck.
20. Be part of the experience that is Vivid Sydney by becoming a volunteer.